Skip to main content

The Prestige

Last year two films came out about competing magicians in the 1800's. How strange is that? We obviously watched the one above tonight. Annoyingly because we both shuffle the Netflix list we are getting The Illusionist tomorrow. I really didn't plan to watch them back to back. That said, this movie blew my socks off. Unfortunately, it's like Children of Men. I don't know how to talk about it without spoilers. It is a slow, beautiful, horrifying movie, wandering through different times fluidly and effortlessly as in Christopher Nolan's earlier Memento. And like Memento, it explores the problems with obsession and manipulation (I like finding through lines in director's work). Like Memento the time twists are essential to the response of the audience. They are not arbitrary or unnecessary. I know that it's possible to watch Memento "in order" but I cannot think that the impact would be the same. I will say this: this film and it's final twist frightened me more than any film I can think of in recent memory without gore or monsters (except the human one). I actually felt sick afterwards. What it reminded me of most strongly was reading one of the "greats" of horror, M.R. James or Lord Dunsany, perhaps Lovecraft, but Lovecraft slides into BEM's (Bug Eyed Monsters) too much while James and Dunsany are masters at the art of suggestion.

What I can say is that the acting is superb. I've been a fan of Christian Bale since Empire of the Sun but I believe he was almost overshadowed by Hugh Jackman in this. Jackman's darkness is subtle but profound. I'm not giving anything away by saying that he plays a double role brilliantly. Supporting cast of Michael Caine, Andy Serkis and David Bowie (as Tesla?). I even thought Scarlett Johannsson was tolerable in this. This one will stay with me for a long time. I cannot think that The Illusionist will compare.

Comments

Art said…
Another Fan of The Prestige!

I really liked the film. Although the ending didn't quite get me as it did you.

It had a little too much of the Scooby Doo-let-us-outline-everything-for-you feel to it in that last scene.

The concept was great and the structure of the piece was great, but as the ending unfolded I was whispering, "No, No, No, you were so close."

Probably worked better in the novel.

With regards to The Illusionist, I would agree with Stanley Kauffman: There isn't much beyond a great story in the The Illusionist, but sometimes that is all you need.
Unknown said…
I'm definitely curious about the novel as well. I can understand what you mean about the ending, but it still worked for me. At what point did you start to think it was going wrong?

Popular posts from this blog

Putting my money (read time) where my mouth is

Some Duran Duran with some songs that I believe prove their musical merit. eSnips gives me the power and I'm going to use it. ( Bwahaha ) Get this widget Share Track details This is one of my all time favorite songs. I have it on a B-Side Collection, although I can't find any mention of what it was B-Side of, just that it came out in 1988. The words are quite haunting, as is the melody. But, I can hear you say, this is not at all a standard D2 song. Well, no, but what is a standard song by any band? How do you average that? Thomas Dolby's singles were always abnormal compared to the rest of their respective albums. Same with Barenaked Ladies. I think the B-Sides are often truer to what the band wants to be without the pressure of the labels for commercial success. Get this widget Share Track details This is probably more like Duran Duran you're thinking of, right? It's from Pop Trash , released 2000. The words are based on the true story of a boy who was building ...

KARAOKE

This is for Musing and B to take both of their minds off of other things. I happened to find it instead of what I was looking for (which was the 5Lives--they know what this means). Now, I'm not a fan of Karaoke, but I found this entertaining not because of the song, which is not a favorite of mine (more on that in a minute) but because it's written three different ways-- Romajii , Kana and English translation. I wish I could find more (perhaps of the songs I like more), but the irc seems to be dead. I did find this: http://www.karaokebox.org/ which is kind of fun, because you can sing with the artist, and then try it alone, but it doesn't tell you WHEN to sing, like a real karaoke version. Now, what I was saying about it not being my favorite got me thinking. L'Arc has 118 song by rough count--counting "My Heart Draws a Dream" due out next week, but not any of the remixes, Ectomorphed songs, D'Arc , P'Unk , live versions, Hydeless versions or the ...

The Departed and some quick catch-ups

I threw out two trash bags of stuff today--projects I will never finish, even fabric I will never use, paper cranes. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was that, "There will always be more fabric." There will always be more origami paper. This time I was smart, I did some projects FIRST and then reorganized and threw out after, instead of cleaning everything first and then running out of time and energy to do a project, resolving to do it tomorrow and not doing it until the sewing room needed cleaning again. Did my laundry, sewed a bodice to a skirt, made a shrug and cleaned my silver jewelry. Then tonight we watched The Departed . My God, what an awful film. It really was. I know it's gotten all this critical acclaim but I just thought it was a mess. The first half dragged on trying to lay on all kind of important inferences about Boston politics, race and class. It only became interesting at all when it started just stealing every scene from Infernal Affa...