Skip to main content

I am a snob

I sort of wrote this in my head as I was going but have added and amended since I've been back so the tenses may not all agree.

I enjoyed the conference. I really did. (DS (a boss) and I discussed on my return how we both find value if we learn or reinforce something even if the whole thing is not life changing.) What I discovered though, was that based on first impressions I would have been friends with maybe two of the other assistants there, could have worked with about half of the people there and really, really would have trouble being in the same office with the rest of the them (18 total). In the reception and the dinner the most literary of the discussions led to Idol, House and Blades of Glory. Whipping out Moby Dick at lunch led to some strange stares and one person exclaiming that she had never been able to get into reading books (as opposed to cereal boxes perhaps?). [Side note: I remember years ago riding back from California after visiting my father and reading Balzac on the plane, a middle-aged gentleman was moved forward for some reason and on seeing my preferred reading jokingly said, "Is this the literary part of the plane? Everyone at the back is reading Danielle Steele."] {Side, side note: I should set up a sidebar column just for my tangents and would if I could figure out the coding.}

What really got me about the rest of the assistants though was the fact that they seemed to gain all of their identity from the status of the agent they represented. I like my agents and I'm proud when they do well, am happy for them (happy for me too because it means my job continues) and hope that I have helped to contribute in someway. In no way do I think their status reflects on who I am or what I do when I'm not in the office. I can't understand that mentality. And here's where I'm a snob. At least three of them who support supposedly "Elite" agents who make scads of money could not speak with even reasonable grammar when asking questions ! They used double negatives. I realize writing here I wander all over the place, but I certainly don't never use double negatives and it's a free form blog--not corporate training at the home office. It's not that I expected them to be brilliant academics, but I expected them to at least have a level of education. I mean, do they compose letters? Do they write marketing copy? I really got the feeling that the agents hired the cheapest secretaries that they could. Several admitted to having been pulled up from reception. It really made me feel that I have to get out of this position. I have to find something worthwhile to do with my life and my talents and this isn't it. (Don't worry JT, I'm not talking about tomorrow, and you would know before anyone else.)

Later in the week when talking with my friend I lamented the fact that when I was a secretary at my college's library and decided to move to Boston, my boss said that while she was sorry to see me go she was happy for me because I had the potential to do so much more and here I am ten years later working as a secretary. Being a good and wise friend he told me to put down the whip--it's neither here nor there, there is only moving forward (I think he actually put it better).

Also difficult were the two women from my own office. I like them. They are very nice. They too would never be friends of mine were we not working side by side. I'm a snob--when they looked down on assistants at the conference and said that they hadn't gotten much out of it, I thought two very uncharitable things, a) in their stilettos with their tattoos and frosted hair they have little room to talk and b) it was perhaps a bit too much like school for them. Am I a bad person? I had a therapist who really tried to make me feel bad for judgements like that, and I quit going to her. I don't go to therapists to feel worse, thank you.

I do stand by this. I do not look down on people who are intelligent but uneducated. My education has massive gaps (I've never read all of Shakespeare and probably never will) of which I'm not proud. I write like I talk--my participles dangle and my modifiers are not always near their object and I can't spell. But I will look down on the willfully and proudly ignorant and I will equally look down on the well educated but stupid.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting my money (read time) where my mouth is

Some Duran Duran with some songs that I believe prove their musical merit. eSnips gives me the power and I'm going to use it. ( Bwahaha ) Get this widget Share Track details This is one of my all time favorite songs. I have it on a B-Side Collection, although I can't find any mention of what it was B-Side of, just that it came out in 1988. The words are quite haunting, as is the melody. But, I can hear you say, this is not at all a standard D2 song. Well, no, but what is a standard song by any band? How do you average that? Thomas Dolby's singles were always abnormal compared to the rest of their respective albums. Same with Barenaked Ladies. I think the B-Sides are often truer to what the band wants to be without the pressure of the labels for commercial success. Get this widget Share Track details This is probably more like Duran Duran you're thinking of, right? It's from Pop Trash , released 2000. The words are based on the true story of a boy who was building ...

KARAOKE

This is for Musing and B to take both of their minds off of other things. I happened to find it instead of what I was looking for (which was the 5Lives--they know what this means). Now, I'm not a fan of Karaoke, but I found this entertaining not because of the song, which is not a favorite of mine (more on that in a minute) but because it's written three different ways-- Romajii , Kana and English translation. I wish I could find more (perhaps of the songs I like more), but the irc seems to be dead. I did find this: http://www.karaokebox.org/ which is kind of fun, because you can sing with the artist, and then try it alone, but it doesn't tell you WHEN to sing, like a real karaoke version. Now, what I was saying about it not being my favorite got me thinking. L'Arc has 118 song by rough count--counting "My Heart Draws a Dream" due out next week, but not any of the remixes, Ectomorphed songs, D'Arc , P'Unk , live versions, Hydeless versions or the ...

The Departed and some quick catch-ups

I threw out two trash bags of stuff today--projects I will never finish, even fabric I will never use, paper cranes. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was that, "There will always be more fabric." There will always be more origami paper. This time I was smart, I did some projects FIRST and then reorganized and threw out after, instead of cleaning everything first and then running out of time and energy to do a project, resolving to do it tomorrow and not doing it until the sewing room needed cleaning again. Did my laundry, sewed a bodice to a skirt, made a shrug and cleaned my silver jewelry. Then tonight we watched The Departed . My God, what an awful film. It really was. I know it's gotten all this critical acclaim but I just thought it was a mess. The first half dragged on trying to lay on all kind of important inferences about Boston politics, race and class. It only became interesting at all when it started just stealing every scene from Infernal Affa...