Skip to main content

DOG by Michelle Herman

I just finished this novel. It's copywrited 2005. There are two nice blurbs about how it's a nice metaphor AND a heartwarming story on the back by "hot" writers J.M.Coetzee and Nuala O'Faolain. It's only 188 pages long, and yet, I didn't like it. What's more I can't imagine why/how it got published out of the hundreds of thousands of manuscripts that slide across editors desks each year (and in case your wondering, it's not personal bitterness--I have never tried to get a novel published). No, it just didn't strike me as a very good story or one that was particularly well-written, or and here's the important bit--a particularly MARKETable one. It's not poorly written. The voice is clear and strong and the prose is pleasant. The description is sparse (well it would have to be in 188 pages) but I don't dislike it for that reason. The progtagonists are a woman and her dog. She is a middle-aged professor, transplanted from New York to the Midwest (much like the author herself, according to the back flap bio.), but unlike the author, this professor is not married with child. She is alone and she realizes around page 160 how alone and lonely she has been through most of her life until this dog comes into her life. She has reminisced although not fondly about past lovers through most of the book because she unconsciously named the dog Phil and realizes that her first serious lover was named Phillip. (She thought she named him after the stack of books by her bed, Roth, Larkin, among others). She got a dog because she was looking at websites about adopting a child and found instead sites about adopting a dog. Perhaps the author took the path the character didn't take--a child, not a dog. At any rate, she is isolated, arrogant about her intellect, fastidious and rather priggish. She has kept herself distant from the Midwesterners for 10 years because she is a New Yorker. (The other character, by the way, Phil, the dog, is a paragon of animal virtue. Housebroken in a day, quiet and intelligent beyond dogness.) Now, I have certainly read and enjoyed books about characters I would hate to meet in real life, but there is a certain something about this character that makes her unpleasant to me, and she is never redeemed. Certainly not in the brief crying jag at the end of the book. There is a certain something, an air of almost self-pity in the character that I find annoying, and what is more consider bad writing. A character may be terrible, may be self-pitying, may be a prig and completely lacking in self-knowledge, but the author must not be, and here I somehow feel that the author does not know that her character is all of these things--does in fact find her a well-rounded person who happens to be lonely. She feels sorry for her own character--perhaps because she identifies to closely. I will admit to starting a poem in college about a similar character--a dry poet who finds herself in middle age amongst lines on scraps of paper that never quite become poems and I was, quite rightly, warned off of continuing in that vein by my professor because of the self-pitying tone. Jean Rhys writes about weak, fragile, needy and clinging women which made me avoid her for years, but when I did read her last week I was amazed at her ability to present these women with a startlingly clear eye despite the fact her books were almost certainly autobiographical novels. You feel sorry for the characters and you may not even like them, but the image is so clear that you can in some ways empathize with them. Like many remarkable writers Rhys was able to be as a writer something she could never be as a person. You never empathize with this character. Part of the problem is the fact that she is completely alone. We only meet one other human and he is nearly a caricature. We hear occasional lines from her students, but never see the scenes where they are set. I'm all for experimentation, and breaking early rules but the fundamental rule of "SHOW, DON'T TELL" has not been broken to much purpose here. The idea that we learn about a character both by what we hear from his own head and from what we observe of others reactions to him is completely absent in this novel. It is, to me, a waste of time and space--amateurish, like a first attempt in a writing class. Which brings me to the other point--how did this get published? It is not traditional, it is not sensational, and it certainly not ground breaking. All I can think is that publishers thought the world was looking for books about dogs and so have obligingly put a photo of an appealing puppy on the cover, looking almost but not quite like the dogs from the DOG stickers and novelties with the fish eye lens rendering real puppies almost SuperDeformed. In contrast I recently read the novel, Saturday, by Ian McEwan. It takes place almost entirely inside the mind of a neurosurgeon in London on a single Saturday starting with him rising too early, and going to bed nearly 24 hours later. We see all of his interactions with others. We live with him through mundane and remarkable moments and in all we have a stunning portrait not just of one man, but of what it means to be human in the 21st century.
In another post I want to return to the idea of "autobiographical" fiction and literature in light of recent events, but that is for another day. As you may be able to gather by now, I don't have trouble thinking of things to write about, I have trouble thinking of a way to stop writing and go do other things!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting my money (read time) where my mouth is

Some Duran Duran with some songs that I believe prove their musical merit. eSnips gives me the power and I'm going to use it. ( Bwahaha ) Get this widget Share Track details This is one of my all time favorite songs. I have it on a B-Side Collection, although I can't find any mention of what it was B-Side of, just that it came out in 1988. The words are quite haunting, as is the melody. But, I can hear you say, this is not at all a standard D2 song. Well, no, but what is a standard song by any band? How do you average that? Thomas Dolby's singles were always abnormal compared to the rest of their respective albums. Same with Barenaked Ladies. I think the B-Sides are often truer to what the band wants to be without the pressure of the labels for commercial success. Get this widget Share Track details This is probably more like Duran Duran you're thinking of, right? It's from Pop Trash , released 2000. The words are based on the true story of a boy who was building ...

KARAOKE

This is for Musing and B to take both of their minds off of other things. I happened to find it instead of what I was looking for (which was the 5Lives--they know what this means). Now, I'm not a fan of Karaoke, but I found this entertaining not because of the song, which is not a favorite of mine (more on that in a minute) but because it's written three different ways-- Romajii , Kana and English translation. I wish I could find more (perhaps of the songs I like more), but the irc seems to be dead. I did find this: http://www.karaokebox.org/ which is kind of fun, because you can sing with the artist, and then try it alone, but it doesn't tell you WHEN to sing, like a real karaoke version. Now, what I was saying about it not being my favorite got me thinking. L'Arc has 118 song by rough count--counting "My Heart Draws a Dream" due out next week, but not any of the remixes, Ectomorphed songs, D'Arc , P'Unk , live versions, Hydeless versions or the ...

The Departed and some quick catch-ups

I threw out two trash bags of stuff today--projects I will never finish, even fabric I will never use, paper cranes. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was that, "There will always be more fabric." There will always be more origami paper. This time I was smart, I did some projects FIRST and then reorganized and threw out after, instead of cleaning everything first and then running out of time and energy to do a project, resolving to do it tomorrow and not doing it until the sewing room needed cleaning again. Did my laundry, sewed a bodice to a skirt, made a shrug and cleaned my silver jewelry. Then tonight we watched The Departed . My God, what an awful film. It really was. I know it's gotten all this critical acclaim but I just thought it was a mess. The first half dragged on trying to lay on all kind of important inferences about Boston politics, race and class. It only became interesting at all when it started just stealing every scene from Infernal Affa...