Skip to main content

Almost, Maine

I went to see a play this afternoon written by an alum of my college, and I went with an alum of my college, not to have a sort of school spirit thing. I didn't know it was by an alum until last week and I really wasn't interested in going until my friend and I were making plans for the weekend. The playwright and I were actually there at the same time--he was a few years ahead of me. I didn't recognize his name but I recognized him when I saw him. His name is John Cariani and his "day" job is playing Beck, the forensics technician on Law and Order. I kept seeing him in L&O and thinking I knew him, but couldn't think why.

God forgive me, I really wanted to not like his play. I wanted it to be pretentious and overblown the way many student plays were when I was at college even though that was nearly 15 years ago. I have nothing against him personally, I just was too human and bitter. Almost, Maine is a sweet and tender set of 9 short plays set in northern Maine where the sky is big. All of the plays are about love and all have an element of magic realism in them. For example, one woman brings six laundry sized bags to her lover saying, "This is all the love you've given me. I'm giving it back and I want the love I've given you."

Another character carries her broken heart in a paper bag. Two men discover they love each other and "fall" repeatedly. Despite the fantastical elements, the characters were always real--well played by a friend of mine and the rest of the cast. In one of the two darker pieces a man and wife realize that they no longer love each other, not because of something big and disasterous, but because of a small turning away that each has been doing for ages. I would hazard a guess that every person in a long-term relationship in that audience related to that piece. The set was simple with simple snow drop boxes covering the scene changes. There was a discussion after and the director said he wanted it to look like a snow globe being shaken up each time. The backdrop was a star field--the most basic kind with tiny LED's in black cloth and yet they were fantastic when lit. Truly lovely.

He actually remembered me, well, sort of and we exchanged a few words on mutual aquaintances. What's funny is that he, himself is an odd person. Strangely awkward, still seeming like the guy I knew at 22. I've found this most pronouncedly in playwrights for some reason--this ability to write the most exquisite interaction on stage, but unable to actually live it.

Oh, also...I've been talking for awhile with various theater friends about how so many new plays are just unproduceable--they jump from scene to scene, they want effects that only Lincoln Center could afford, etc., the effects of television. While these were 9 short plays, each play was well thought out and shaped and contained one location, one time. It's not that I think we need to return to the classical unities or that the break from them was a bad thing for it's time, it's just that there doesn't seem to be a building of relationships in plays anymore, and it was nice to see this return.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting my money (read time) where my mouth is

Some Duran Duran with some songs that I believe prove their musical merit. eSnips gives me the power and I'm going to use it. ( Bwahaha ) Get this widget Share Track details This is one of my all time favorite songs. I have it on a B-Side Collection, although I can't find any mention of what it was B-Side of, just that it came out in 1988. The words are quite haunting, as is the melody. But, I can hear you say, this is not at all a standard D2 song. Well, no, but what is a standard song by any band? How do you average that? Thomas Dolby's singles were always abnormal compared to the rest of their respective albums. Same with Barenaked Ladies. I think the B-Sides are often truer to what the band wants to be without the pressure of the labels for commercial success. Get this widget Share Track details This is probably more like Duran Duran you're thinking of, right? It's from Pop Trash , released 2000. The words are based on the true story of a boy who was building ...

KARAOKE

This is for Musing and B to take both of their minds off of other things. I happened to find it instead of what I was looking for (which was the 5Lives--they know what this means). Now, I'm not a fan of Karaoke, but I found this entertaining not because of the song, which is not a favorite of mine (more on that in a minute) but because it's written three different ways-- Romajii , Kana and English translation. I wish I could find more (perhaps of the songs I like more), but the irc seems to be dead. I did find this: http://www.karaokebox.org/ which is kind of fun, because you can sing with the artist, and then try it alone, but it doesn't tell you WHEN to sing, like a real karaoke version. Now, what I was saying about it not being my favorite got me thinking. L'Arc has 118 song by rough count--counting "My Heart Draws a Dream" due out next week, but not any of the remixes, Ectomorphed songs, D'Arc , P'Unk , live versions, Hydeless versions or the ...

The Departed and some quick catch-ups

I threw out two trash bags of stuff today--projects I will never finish, even fabric I will never use, paper cranes. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was that, "There will always be more fabric." There will always be more origami paper. This time I was smart, I did some projects FIRST and then reorganized and threw out after, instead of cleaning everything first and then running out of time and energy to do a project, resolving to do it tomorrow and not doing it until the sewing room needed cleaning again. Did my laundry, sewed a bodice to a skirt, made a shrug and cleaned my silver jewelry. Then tonight we watched The Departed . My God, what an awful film. It really was. I know it's gotten all this critical acclaim but I just thought it was a mess. The first half dragged on trying to lay on all kind of important inferences about Boston politics, race and class. It only became interesting at all when it started just stealing every scene from Infernal Affa...