Skip to main content

There are no coincidences or once again about throughlines

Last night we saw "V for Vendetta" and I was going to come home and blog about it, but went to bed instead and then tonight, we watched "Everything is Illuminated" and once again as with "History of Violence" and "The Devil's Backbone" I realized that despite being extremely different films, they have similar through lines. They are both excellent films.

"V for Vendetta" is one of my husband's all time favorite graphic novels so he was afraid to see what Hollywood (and the Wachowski brothers) had done with it. Look at the travesty that is "Constantine" or the muddle that was made of Allan Moore's "From Hell" and the absolute disaster that was "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen." Allan Moore had his name removed from the film which is never a good sign.
Fortunately we were very pleasantly surprised. While certain elements were changed, like "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe," and "Lord of the Rings," the essence was retained. It is heavyhanded as critics have pointed out, but no more so than the source, but I found the violence relatively restrained, esp. since there are so many more scenes in the graphic novel that could have been filmed to make an "Action" flick. The British actors--Stephen Fry, Stephen Rea, John Hurt, etc. are excellent and Portman, well she's better than she's been in awhile. The message of that last little inch of ourselves that can never be taken, only given away remains.

Interestingly this is a similar message to Liev Schreiber's "Everything is Illuminated." This is actor Schreiber's first effort as a director and it's a startlingly beautiful film with some camera cuts that are just breathtaking, from the yellow Jewish star to the eye of a Nazi looking down his gun for one example. The character who allowed that last inch to be taken finally finds redemption by letting go and two characters who didn't even know that such bravery is needed in the world become better people. Because it was on DVD, I watched the deleted scenes which were very funny (did I mention that this film about the Holocaust and personal discovery is very, very, very funny?) in a surreal black comedy kind of way. I believe that these scenes are true to the unusual quality of the novel, but I agree with their being cut for the tone of the film. It was like a Wim Wenders film by way of Fellini. One of Wenders older films, called "Im Lauf der Zeit" or In the Course of Time (strangely titled in English--Kings of the Road) is about a road trip across Germany by two near strangers. There is tremendous sense of that here except that ILdZ is 3 hours long and this is a spare 1 hour 46 min. and yet each is exactly the length they need to be.

As an added sideline, Elijah Wood (whose startingly large eyes are made even larger by thick glasses) is quite perfect as the scared of life collector. He saves things in plastic bags and says when asked that he does it because he is afraid he won't remember. He takes objects--his grandmother's false teeth when she dies for instance--where others might take photos. I too keep objects over photos. I didn't have a film camera at my wedding and people asked me why. I had read and agreed that with a film eventually all you remember is what is contained within the film. Photos are marginally better, but an object like a Proustian smell can bring back (for me at least) the whole feeling of a time and a moment. I have scrapbooks (not in the surburban hobbiest kind of way that is popular now), just as a container where I randomly place flat objects--ticket stubs, programs, cards, tags from gifts, even bits of wrapping paper--and shoeboxes where I put the non-flat objects that I don't need to leave out on a counter--old pins, jewelry I no longer wear but was a gift, etc. As I hold them I remember moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adapting a book--The Prestige

I was completely blown away by the movie of The Prestige , and I thought then about reading the novel, but it seemed too soon. So I carried the author's name around with me for over a year (Christopher Priest) and then, finally remembered to buy it through an odd sequence of events. We watched The Painted Veil based on the novel by Maugham starring Edward Norton, and while I decided I didn't want to read The Painted Veil because of it's differences from the film (which was more romantic and tragic) it reminded me that I had wanted to read Fight Club (the movie version of which starred Edward Norton) and that reminded me that I had wanted to read The Prestige (which did not star Edward Norton, but was up against The Illusionist which did). Whew...so it's all Edward Norton's fault. The Prestige is a very good novel, and yet, the movie differs from it considerably. And I am still trying to figure out what exactly that means. The central premise is the same, AND HE

Putting my money (read time) where my mouth is

Some Duran Duran with some songs that I believe prove their musical merit. eSnips gives me the power and I'm going to use it. ( Bwahaha ) Get this widget Share Track details This is one of my all time favorite songs. I have it on a B-Side Collection, although I can't find any mention of what it was B-Side of, just that it came out in 1988. The words are quite haunting, as is the melody. But, I can hear you say, this is not at all a standard D2 song. Well, no, but what is a standard song by any band? How do you average that? Thomas Dolby's singles were always abnormal compared to the rest of their respective albums. Same with Barenaked Ladies. I think the B-Sides are often truer to what the band wants to be without the pressure of the labels for commercial success. Get this widget Share Track details This is probably more like Duran Duran you're thinking of, right? It's from Pop Trash , released 2000. The words are based on the true story of a boy who was building

Books & Bands

A newsletter on webdesign had a contest to mash-up band names with book names--though it seems to have expanded to all literature. My personal favorite is: Horton Hears a Hoobastank But there are many others bubbling under: The Who Moved my Cheese (The Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf is nice too) Courtney Love in the Time of Cholera Wallflowers for Algernon Bleak Housemartins I like the ones that just merge, but this is good too: One Fish, Two Fish, Hootie and the Blowfish (because the rhythm works) For the 80's girl in me: The Joy Division Luck Club The Elements of Style Council A Kraftwerk Orange (which is so great I'm surprised the band never used it for an album name) The Jesus and Mary Chain of Command Everything But the Girl, Interrupted The Five People You Meet in Heaven 17 The Natalie Merchant of Venice Romeo Void and Juliet The Motels New Hampshire (that one's stretching it, but it's funny) At Play in the Fields of the Lords of the New Church (and also At Pla