Skip to main content

Sometimes the muses are both kind and strange

Reunion

I have been invited
Like the courtier in the powdered wig,
Like a dignitary, profile of a mountain.
I fear to write the word
Like a chicken
Laying her last egg
Before laying out her neck.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I saw this poem in a dream--nearly as I can remember as it is now. The dream itself is strange.

I had to go somewhere about two hours away on Saturday--leaving at about 9:30. In my dream of Saturday morning my mother was here and going with me and she had to go to Lexington on Saturday morning BEFORE we left. So she and I and a friend of my husband's (on my mind because he hadn't returned a phone call--common with him--and my husband and I had been discussing it the night before) went to Lexington at 8:30. Lexington is about 30 minutes away from me because there is no direct way to get there--even though the distance is not that great.
We go to this house and family business and no one is there.

Me: Didn't you tell them you were coming?
Mother: Well, I thought they'd be here.
Me: You thought they'd be open at 8:30 in the morning?
Mother: I knew they'd open for me.
Me: And why did we have to do this first. Didn't you realize we could have gone through Lexington on our way out of town.
Mother: But I need it before I get ready. Oh, the door's open. I'll just get what I need and leave a note.

So we go in (???) and she's looking for this "thing" and I glance at the husband's desk and there's this poem on it. In the dream I knew he was a poet, but I expected him to be of the slightly sentimental variety and I was startled by this poem as it did not seem like something he would write. I can't think of any poet I've met who didn't write poetry that fundamentally seemed like them. Even April's frustratingly language rich poems seem like April, and certainly John Ash and Wayne Koestenbaum wrote poems I expected from comfortable gay men living in New York. Even Charles Simic, a far more interesting poet to me, still writes poems that do not surprise me in coming from him.

So I wake up and think, "I must get that poem on paper. That's not his poem, that's MY poem." There was a slightly different version that I remembered in that glorious moment after waking--or I think I do--memory, especially of dreams becomes more and more what you remember and less and less of what they might really have been in the moment of dreaming. Like Coleridge, interrupted, I struggled to remember precisely what I read on that page, and what was so clear on the second after waking faded with each attempt to re-see it, but, this is, I think, very close to the gist. And if any further proof is needed that my subconscious wrote this poem, I had no idea what it meant until I got it on the page.

Because I was going to a reunion on Saturday. A reunion I was dreading for many different reasons that I cannot, even now fully articulate. Also, I have not written any poetry for some time and had begun to believe that I might never write another one that I liked. I know it's an obtuse poem, but I also feel in my gut that it is good and not one of those things (like plots of dreams I have tried to recapture) that was only good in the dream and do not hold together on waking.

Comments

Unknown said…
This happened to me last week, too! I wrote this thing that was sort of a summary of a dream, because when I woke up, the words just started composing themselves in my head, and I knew that I would kick myself if I didn't get up and write it, no matter how cold it was in my room, or how crusty my eyes felt.

Yes. Yes yes.

Popular posts from this blog

Adapting a book--The Prestige

I was completely blown away by the movie of The Prestige , and I thought then about reading the novel, but it seemed too soon. So I carried the author's name around with me for over a year (Christopher Priest) and then, finally remembered to buy it through an odd sequence of events. We watched The Painted Veil based on the novel by Maugham starring Edward Norton, and while I decided I didn't want to read The Painted Veil because of it's differences from the film (which was more romantic and tragic) it reminded me that I had wanted to read Fight Club (the movie version of which starred Edward Norton) and that reminded me that I had wanted to read The Prestige (which did not star Edward Norton, but was up against The Illusionist which did). Whew...so it's all Edward Norton's fault. The Prestige is a very good novel, and yet, the movie differs from it considerably. And I am still trying to figure out what exactly that means. The central premise is the same, AND HE

Putting my money (read time) where my mouth is

Some Duran Duran with some songs that I believe prove their musical merit. eSnips gives me the power and I'm going to use it. ( Bwahaha ) Get this widget Share Track details This is one of my all time favorite songs. I have it on a B-Side Collection, although I can't find any mention of what it was B-Side of, just that it came out in 1988. The words are quite haunting, as is the melody. But, I can hear you say, this is not at all a standard D2 song. Well, no, but what is a standard song by any band? How do you average that? Thomas Dolby's singles were always abnormal compared to the rest of their respective albums. Same with Barenaked Ladies. I think the B-Sides are often truer to what the band wants to be without the pressure of the labels for commercial success. Get this widget Share Track details This is probably more like Duran Duran you're thinking of, right? It's from Pop Trash , released 2000. The words are based on the true story of a boy who was building

Books & Bands

A newsletter on webdesign had a contest to mash-up band names with book names--though it seems to have expanded to all literature. My personal favorite is: Horton Hears a Hoobastank But there are many others bubbling under: The Who Moved my Cheese (The Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf is nice too) Courtney Love in the Time of Cholera Wallflowers for Algernon Bleak Housemartins I like the ones that just merge, but this is good too: One Fish, Two Fish, Hootie and the Blowfish (because the rhythm works) For the 80's girl in me: The Joy Division Luck Club The Elements of Style Council A Kraftwerk Orange (which is so great I'm surprised the band never used it for an album name) The Jesus and Mary Chain of Command Everything But the Girl, Interrupted The Five People You Meet in Heaven 17 The Natalie Merchant of Venice Romeo Void and Juliet The Motels New Hampshire (that one's stretching it, but it's funny) At Play in the Fields of the Lords of the New Church (and also At Pla