Skip to main content

Ian McEwan

Part of my tension, I think, is the fact that I have not been reading much. As I mentioned--I'm deep in the doldrums (to steal a metaphor) of Moby Dick and a stubbornness on my part keeps me from simply putting it down and picking up something else. Normally I'll read two novels a week.

Back in the late spring I did put down MD long enough to read On Chesil Beach by Ian McEwan because it was very short. At the time it had not come out in America, but it has by now, and everyone and their brother has reviewed it.

I was trying to remember if I found McEwan on my own, or if i found him in college. I know that I read Black Dogs in a class which was called "European Literature after the war," but the Professor admitted was really just a list of April Bernard's favorite authors. We read Calvino, Kundera, Highsmith and Muriel Spark. And Ian McEwan. I've always liked McEwan, but I believe he's becoming a better author as he goes along and I was trying to figure out why I think that. I went back and looked at Black Dogs. All of McEwan's books are about the impact of violence, both personal and political, both emotional and physical. I could say that he has learned to make us care about his characters more--but one does not like Ripley in Highsmith's books, but one cares about him in a strange way. (Having read April's own novel, Pirate Jenny, I did not like her protagonist either, but I liked the book.)

This book is a minute snapshot of a marriage or rather a wedding night gone wrong, in a time, as he reminds us when a wedding night still had weight and some apprehension.

What I have not found in any review is a discussion of the violence which may or may not have happened to the bride at some earlier point, and I can't decide if I've imagined it. My husband, who read it at my insistence after I finished, felt it was there, but very, very subtly.

What one always goes to McEwan for is sentences like this:
I do not know if this was actually the case or not, but in memory each of my few visits to her in the nursing home in the spring and summer of 1987 took place on days of rain and high wind. Perhaps there was only once such day, and it has blown itself across the others. [italics are mine].

That's from Black Dogs and I found it again (to Mirror XP) because I had underlined it the first time round.

I cannot now find the phrases that I wanted from On Chesil Beach because it was a hardback and my husband paid for it and so I did not annotate.

Quotes from it have abounded in the reviews--the capturing of a time in Britain after WWII and before Profumo and boiling it all down into these two lovers is McEwan's genius. What I do dislike is the reviewers repeated comments that these were two people who "got married for all the wrong reasons." I think they wanted to get married for all the right reasons--they loved, they liked. They knew the other well enough, but they did not know themselves--and as in life, that is the tragedy.

(Now I can put away the McEwans which have been lingering in my to deal with pile.)

Comments

musingwoman said…
The only book I've read by McEwan is Atonement, which I enjoyed very much. What would you recommend I read next?

Popular posts from this blog

Putting my money (read time) where my mouth is

Some Duran Duran with some songs that I believe prove their musical merit. eSnips gives me the power and I'm going to use it. ( Bwahaha ) Get this widget Share Track details This is one of my all time favorite songs. I have it on a B-Side Collection, although I can't find any mention of what it was B-Side of, just that it came out in 1988. The words are quite haunting, as is the melody. But, I can hear you say, this is not at all a standard D2 song. Well, no, but what is a standard song by any band? How do you average that? Thomas Dolby's singles were always abnormal compared to the rest of their respective albums. Same with Barenaked Ladies. I think the B-Sides are often truer to what the band wants to be without the pressure of the labels for commercial success. Get this widget Share Track details This is probably more like Duran Duran you're thinking of, right? It's from Pop Trash , released 2000. The words are based on the true story of a boy who was building ...

KARAOKE

This is for Musing and B to take both of their minds off of other things. I happened to find it instead of what I was looking for (which was the 5Lives--they know what this means). Now, I'm not a fan of Karaoke, but I found this entertaining not because of the song, which is not a favorite of mine (more on that in a minute) but because it's written three different ways-- Romajii , Kana and English translation. I wish I could find more (perhaps of the songs I like more), but the irc seems to be dead. I did find this: http://www.karaokebox.org/ which is kind of fun, because you can sing with the artist, and then try it alone, but it doesn't tell you WHEN to sing, like a real karaoke version. Now, what I was saying about it not being my favorite got me thinking. L'Arc has 118 song by rough count--counting "My Heart Draws a Dream" due out next week, but not any of the remixes, Ectomorphed songs, D'Arc , P'Unk , live versions, Hydeless versions or the ...

The Departed and some quick catch-ups

I threw out two trash bags of stuff today--projects I will never finish, even fabric I will never use, paper cranes. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was that, "There will always be more fabric." There will always be more origami paper. This time I was smart, I did some projects FIRST and then reorganized and threw out after, instead of cleaning everything first and then running out of time and energy to do a project, resolving to do it tomorrow and not doing it until the sewing room needed cleaning again. Did my laundry, sewed a bodice to a skirt, made a shrug and cleaned my silver jewelry. Then tonight we watched The Departed . My God, what an awful film. It really was. I know it's gotten all this critical acclaim but I just thought it was a mess. The first half dragged on trying to lay on all kind of important inferences about Boston politics, race and class. It only became interesting at all when it started just stealing every scene from Infernal Affa...