Skip to main content

Time off

I was off from half day on Wednesday to today. It wasn't enough--especially with my poor husband sick and a variety of apts. that had to be taken care of, interviews, vet apt., dentist apt. But I did do some things--though never as much as one would like.

Two things I did finally take care of. I retrieved a box of props from the woman I did the one woman show with and I framed my father's flag. The flag thing wasn't something I was dreading--the proverbial, "Now, he's finally gone," thing. I know he's gone. I've known for 10 years, thank you. I just couldn't decide which flag box to get. There were one's with room for the medals and some with rooms for the pictures and some more expensive, less expensive, etc. I finally got just the triangle--on sale. It's not the best quality, but it's better than being in a cardboard box. The pictures I have of him receiving the Bronze Star Medal wouldn't have fit in the other frames, and I don't actually have the medal, just the certificate. I remember seeing it as a child, along with his bars, but I don't know what's become of them. That would be something I hope to find when I go through my mother's things.

The other thing, getting the box of props, was harder. It seems to say that we will never do that show again.

I shortened some curtains badly. I washed $26 by accident, and made my old cream colored bathroom rug a really lovely pink by washing it with a burgundy chair cover. Not my finest hour.

Other than tidying and laundry I did not clean at all in the dusting, vacuuming, mopping sense. Take that "Should'ves" in my head!

I did not renew my license at the RMV which I actually should have done while I was off during the day. Oh, well.

I DID, however, clean my desk (thereby finding the RMV notice) and my in-box, which some of you benefited/suffered from. I've let my bookmarks get out of control, so I had things in my in-box that I didn't want to lose by just bookmarking them and never seeing them again, but couldn't decide how best to sort/save them. I've added some to the Fun Stuff links, including the Six Sentences Blog which is stories in six sentences and the blog of the guy who made the Creative Whack Pack which my father gave me when I went to college. Sidenote: one of the newsletters I get for work had a contest for stories in exactly 140 characters--the link of a twitter post. I've stored some others in a folder. And some I passed on. I'm trying to do what I always advise people to do--if you haven't looked at it by now, then you probably never will. Let go. Move on.

Updated my resume... did some quick sewing projects. All-in-all, probably a B/B+ as my old behavioral therapist used to encourage.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting my money (read time) where my mouth is

Some Duran Duran with some songs that I believe prove their musical merit. eSnips gives me the power and I'm going to use it. ( Bwahaha ) Get this widget Share Track details This is one of my all time favorite songs. I have it on a B-Side Collection, although I can't find any mention of what it was B-Side of, just that it came out in 1988. The words are quite haunting, as is the melody. But, I can hear you say, this is not at all a standard D2 song. Well, no, but what is a standard song by any band? How do you average that? Thomas Dolby's singles were always abnormal compared to the rest of their respective albums. Same with Barenaked Ladies. I think the B-Sides are often truer to what the band wants to be without the pressure of the labels for commercial success. Get this widget Share Track details This is probably more like Duran Duran you're thinking of, right? It's from Pop Trash , released 2000. The words are based on the true story of a boy who was building ...

KARAOKE

This is for Musing and B to take both of their minds off of other things. I happened to find it instead of what I was looking for (which was the 5Lives--they know what this means). Now, I'm not a fan of Karaoke, but I found this entertaining not because of the song, which is not a favorite of mine (more on that in a minute) but because it's written three different ways-- Romajii , Kana and English translation. I wish I could find more (perhaps of the songs I like more), but the irc seems to be dead. I did find this: http://www.karaokebox.org/ which is kind of fun, because you can sing with the artist, and then try it alone, but it doesn't tell you WHEN to sing, like a real karaoke version. Now, what I was saying about it not being my favorite got me thinking. L'Arc has 118 song by rough count--counting "My Heart Draws a Dream" due out next week, but not any of the remixes, Ectomorphed songs, D'Arc , P'Unk , live versions, Hydeless versions or the ...

The Departed and some quick catch-ups

I threw out two trash bags of stuff today--projects I will never finish, even fabric I will never use, paper cranes. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was that, "There will always be more fabric." There will always be more origami paper. This time I was smart, I did some projects FIRST and then reorganized and threw out after, instead of cleaning everything first and then running out of time and energy to do a project, resolving to do it tomorrow and not doing it until the sewing room needed cleaning again. Did my laundry, sewed a bodice to a skirt, made a shrug and cleaned my silver jewelry. Then tonight we watched The Departed . My God, what an awful film. It really was. I know it's gotten all this critical acclaim but I just thought it was a mess. The first half dragged on trying to lay on all kind of important inferences about Boston politics, race and class. It only became interesting at all when it started just stealing every scene from Infernal Affa...