Skip to main content

Venus--Peter O'Toole

I fell in love with Peter O'Toole when I was 10 and he was 49. He was Flavius Silva in Masada and he had already had some rough decades in the bottle behind him. But with my already developed Biseinen sensors, I knew that he was or had once been exquisitely beautiful.


Already something of an obsessive, I saw every film I could find that I was allowed to see, good, bad or mediocre. From the near perfect Lawrence of Arabia and Becket, to the fluff of How to Steal a Million to the perfectly dreadful Goodbye Mr. Chips (the musical!). Much was off limits to me and I would wait years to see the cult classics like The Ruling Class or What's New Pussycat. It's hard to describe how stunning he is in Lawrence and the pictures I can find do not do the action justice. Tan, tall and blonde--not my usual MO, but he looks like sculpture in that film. Noel Coward allegedly said, "If he were any prettier in that film, he'd be Florence of Arabia."


In glorious technicolor his eyes are electric blue. I can't even imagine what it must have been like to see that film in theaters. A recent acquaintance went to the screening when it was recently remastered and rereleased.

His eyes are very pale now, but the tour de force performance is still there. My mother told me that she'd always heard that he was gay, but I believe he was a serious womanizer. In Venus he is just that, a very old actor who loved and was loved by women. And he has fallen in love with the 20 year old grand-niece of his best friend, a fellow actor who has probably been in love with him for years.
Venus is that great small English film about growing old. About things we have done and regret, but will do or would do if given the chance again. It is a loose Pygmalion story. The crass 20 year old girl is shown to be wounded deep inside and well, simply young and she learns that wisdom is not in putting on a shell, but being true to yourself. And the ending is inevitable. There are films that must end a certain way and you would be angry if they ended some other way--and there are films that can end a certain way but would be better if they didn't. This is one of the former.
O'Toole's character is old and like most of us, angry at being old. He is also an aging actor--reduced to playing corpses or the near death--except in one spot when he takes on a role he is really too sick to play to earn the money to impress the girl. Interestingly it's a period piece--late 18th century like the last thing I saw him in, the David Tennant Cassanova, which I did not like. And that too was about being old and thinking back on decisions we have made. I know that he is currently playing the Pope in The Tudors.
He is surrounded by a great cast--Leslie Phillips as his friend, Vanessa Redgrave as his long suffering wife (an interesting stand in for the real long-suffering ex-Mrs. O'Toole Sian Phillips), Richard Griffiths in a small role, but it is young Jodie Whittaker's movie really. When she comes on--all brutal accent, slouch and attitude, thinking she can come to London and be a model, or that Kylie Minogue's "I Should Be So Lucky" is on a par with Shakespeare, she is painful to watch and you wonder how he can be charmed but what he sees and what we come to see through her performance, through moments where she is wounded and even more where she begins to hope and care, is a startling and fully-formed character. It is the sort of performance I would have liked to have seen from Natalie Portman in Closer and didn't.
Several times in the film the others make reference to how beautiful he was (spoiler) and in his obituary they show the picture from the cover of his auto-biography, Loitering With Intent. He receives nearly a page bio--I wonder what O'Toole will receive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting my money (read time) where my mouth is

Some Duran Duran with some songs that I believe prove their musical merit. eSnips gives me the power and I'm going to use it. ( Bwahaha ) Get this widget Share Track details This is one of my all time favorite songs. I have it on a B-Side Collection, although I can't find any mention of what it was B-Side of, just that it came out in 1988. The words are quite haunting, as is the melody. But, I can hear you say, this is not at all a standard D2 song. Well, no, but what is a standard song by any band? How do you average that? Thomas Dolby's singles were always abnormal compared to the rest of their respective albums. Same with Barenaked Ladies. I think the B-Sides are often truer to what the band wants to be without the pressure of the labels for commercial success. Get this widget Share Track details This is probably more like Duran Duran you're thinking of, right? It's from Pop Trash , released 2000. The words are based on the true story of a boy who was building ...

KARAOKE

This is for Musing and B to take both of their minds off of other things. I happened to find it instead of what I was looking for (which was the 5Lives--they know what this means). Now, I'm not a fan of Karaoke, but I found this entertaining not because of the song, which is not a favorite of mine (more on that in a minute) but because it's written three different ways-- Romajii , Kana and English translation. I wish I could find more (perhaps of the songs I like more), but the irc seems to be dead. I did find this: http://www.karaokebox.org/ which is kind of fun, because you can sing with the artist, and then try it alone, but it doesn't tell you WHEN to sing, like a real karaoke version. Now, what I was saying about it not being my favorite got me thinking. L'Arc has 118 song by rough count--counting "My Heart Draws a Dream" due out next week, but not any of the remixes, Ectomorphed songs, D'Arc , P'Unk , live versions, Hydeless versions or the ...

The Departed and some quick catch-ups

I threw out two trash bags of stuff today--projects I will never finish, even fabric I will never use, paper cranes. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was that, "There will always be more fabric." There will always be more origami paper. This time I was smart, I did some projects FIRST and then reorganized and threw out after, instead of cleaning everything first and then running out of time and energy to do a project, resolving to do it tomorrow and not doing it until the sewing room needed cleaning again. Did my laundry, sewed a bodice to a skirt, made a shrug and cleaned my silver jewelry. Then tonight we watched The Departed . My God, what an awful film. It really was. I know it's gotten all this critical acclaim but I just thought it was a mess. The first half dragged on trying to lay on all kind of important inferences about Boston politics, race and class. It only became interesting at all when it started just stealing every scene from Infernal Affa...