Skip to main content

New Shoes

I bought new shoes on Saturday and ordinarily this wouldn't be enough of an event on which to hang a post, but they were a very different type of shoe for me, and it got me thinking. I used to be more of a shoe whore--but never having much money they had to be both extraordinary and cheap. I've always been more of a flats kind of person, but I had a pair of suede Mary Jane's with 2 inch heels that got me through much of college. Most of my shoes tend to be Mary Janes because I have a narrow foot and tend to slip out of shoes if there isn't something to hold on to my foot, laces, straps, etc. I can't wear clogs at all because I spend the day holding onto my shoe with my toes. I've also traditionally disliked thick soled shoes, even when they were better for my foot--say when I was doing visual merchandising. I bought a pair of Doc's but couldn't wear them on ladders because I felt, or rather couldn't feel the step beneath me. So about a month ago I tried on a pair of pumps on a platform. Now, I've generally been against platform shoes--rather like being against open toed pumps. I've often thought of putting together a booklet of my own style rules--if it worked for those b*!#*s, Trinny and Susannah over at the original What Not to Wear it could do wonders for me. People often stop me on the street to comment on my style. I don't believe in a lot of fashion rules, and believe any rule can be broken in the right circumstance, but there are certain places to start.
Anyway, being on these shoes was like being on Japanese wooden shoes. You could rock on them and they made a cloppy noise when you walked (like Sadako). I also felt like I might fall off of them at any moment. They were very "not me." But I went home and thought about them for a month, and when a coupon came in the mail on Saturday for DSW, and I had planned to be in the neighborhood anyway, I decided to look for them again. I didn't find them, but I found another pair that I had also looked at. They are more of a platform wedge, but also shiny and black, a basic pump on a strange base. Because of the platform they are barely heels at all. They also have a slim ankle-strap making them more like my beloved Mary Janes and helping to keep them on. They are really barely platforms. No self-respecting harajuku girl or Goth Lolita would think of them as such. But compared to my other shoes they are definitely ankle-strap, platform wedges. They were very well received at work which has a few women who spend their days in stilettos and other "difficult" shoes.

Now here is what I'm wondering. When/how did my taste change? Is it merely because the platform wedge has come back so much in style that it has insinuated itself into my brain--that all things can become accepted simply by repetition? Is it something that is changing in me? A slight adventurousness as I push my new disciplines? A hearkening after youth? I can't quite decide.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting my money (read time) where my mouth is

Some Duran Duran with some songs that I believe prove their musical merit. eSnips gives me the power and I'm going to use it. ( Bwahaha ) Get this widget Share Track details This is one of my all time favorite songs. I have it on a B-Side Collection, although I can't find any mention of what it was B-Side of, just that it came out in 1988. The words are quite haunting, as is the melody. But, I can hear you say, this is not at all a standard D2 song. Well, no, but what is a standard song by any band? How do you average that? Thomas Dolby's singles were always abnormal compared to the rest of their respective albums. Same with Barenaked Ladies. I think the B-Sides are often truer to what the band wants to be without the pressure of the labels for commercial success. Get this widget Share Track details This is probably more like Duran Duran you're thinking of, right? It's from Pop Trash , released 2000. The words are based on the true story of a boy who was building ...

KARAOKE

This is for Musing and B to take both of their minds off of other things. I happened to find it instead of what I was looking for (which was the 5Lives--they know what this means). Now, I'm not a fan of Karaoke, but I found this entertaining not because of the song, which is not a favorite of mine (more on that in a minute) but because it's written three different ways-- Romajii , Kana and English translation. I wish I could find more (perhaps of the songs I like more), but the irc seems to be dead. I did find this: http://www.karaokebox.org/ which is kind of fun, because you can sing with the artist, and then try it alone, but it doesn't tell you WHEN to sing, like a real karaoke version. Now, what I was saying about it not being my favorite got me thinking. L'Arc has 118 song by rough count--counting "My Heart Draws a Dream" due out next week, but not any of the remixes, Ectomorphed songs, D'Arc , P'Unk , live versions, Hydeless versions or the ...

The Departed and some quick catch-ups

I threw out two trash bags of stuff today--projects I will never finish, even fabric I will never use, paper cranes. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was that, "There will always be more fabric." There will always be more origami paper. This time I was smart, I did some projects FIRST and then reorganized and threw out after, instead of cleaning everything first and then running out of time and energy to do a project, resolving to do it tomorrow and not doing it until the sewing room needed cleaning again. Did my laundry, sewed a bodice to a skirt, made a shrug and cleaned my silver jewelry. Then tonight we watched The Departed . My God, what an awful film. It really was. I know it's gotten all this critical acclaim but I just thought it was a mess. The first half dragged on trying to lay on all kind of important inferences about Boston politics, race and class. It only became interesting at all when it started just stealing every scene from Infernal Affa...