Skip to main content

Shoot 'Em Up

The morning after we watched "Shoot 'Em Up" with Clive Owen and Paul Giamatti, I watched my rear view mirror as a woman put on her make-up in the car behind me. We were stuck in traffic, and she worked on it for about 10 minutes in start and stop traffic before we got on the highway. I don't know if she continued after she got on the highway.

Meanwhile, the guy in front of me kept flicking ash out of his window with his RIGHT hand???? and finally tossed the cigarette butt out too.

And I thought, "Man, I wish I were Mr. Smith right now."

I loved this movie. Fantastic escapist fun and very, very visually clever.

Owen plays Mr. Smith a mild mannered misanthrope who's catch phrase seemed to be, "You know what I hate..." When Mr. Smith sees a yuppie (is that still a term?) take a handicapped parking spot he steals the guy's car. He runs another off the road for not using his turn signals.

Obviously I don't really believe in vigilantiism and the body count is enormous in this with no one really bleeding or dying slowly in agony (well, except for the one guy who was shot in the buttock, but he doesn't really count as he wasn't dying, just whining a lot). Realistic violence takes me apart. Cartoon violence cracks me up--and this is a live action cartoon. Mr. Smith walks away (well, ok, limps away) from things that should have killed him--and the running joke is that Giamatti's character just won't stay dead. Plus Clive spends the movie chomping on carots (and disposing of people with them--in ways I don't think would pass Mythbusters). He even finally says, "What's up, Doc?" As you may recall, I blubbed my eyes out for "Children of Men."

Which brings me to my main point. This film is the META of all metas. Unlike in my post, I don't think I'm giving anything away by talking about COM now. In that, Owen must save the last pregnant woman on earth and then she and her baby from two factions that want the baby for their own ends.

In this, Owen delivers a baby by shooting the umbilical cord (the mother is later shot) and then spends the rest of the movie protecting the baby from two factions who want the baby for their own ends. You can't tell me they didn't cast Owen on purpose. There's some serious "Sin City" references. Giamatti says something about moving "SIDEWAYS," in a way that's too deliberate to be accidental. There's even a mad taxidermist from "Pacte de la Loupe," to pull in Monica Belucci, the sort of heroine. I'm sure that there are even more references I didn't catch. Oh, and the end credits sound like the Bond theme. You know, Clive Owen, who was almost Bond...

But it's the action sequences that make it, and it's pretty much all actioin sequences. Some were in the commercials, but the one falling from a plane with parachutes have to be seen and then watched in slow motion again.

Terribly good fun. Never has a film been so literally titled.

Oh, and it has Monica Belucci in it. Did I mention that? http://www.imdb.com/gallery/granitz/5260/MonicaBell_Pimen_10881427_400.jpg.html?seq=8

(Spell check is not working for me--forgive me for that too.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting my money (read time) where my mouth is

Some Duran Duran with some songs that I believe prove their musical merit. eSnips gives me the power and I'm going to use it. ( Bwahaha ) Get this widget Share Track details This is one of my all time favorite songs. I have it on a B-Side Collection, although I can't find any mention of what it was B-Side of, just that it came out in 1988. The words are quite haunting, as is the melody. But, I can hear you say, this is not at all a standard D2 song. Well, no, but what is a standard song by any band? How do you average that? Thomas Dolby's singles were always abnormal compared to the rest of their respective albums. Same with Barenaked Ladies. I think the B-Sides are often truer to what the band wants to be without the pressure of the labels for commercial success. Get this widget Share Track details This is probably more like Duran Duran you're thinking of, right? It's from Pop Trash , released 2000. The words are based on the true story of a boy who was building ...

KARAOKE

This is for Musing and B to take both of their minds off of other things. I happened to find it instead of what I was looking for (which was the 5Lives--they know what this means). Now, I'm not a fan of Karaoke, but I found this entertaining not because of the song, which is not a favorite of mine (more on that in a minute) but because it's written three different ways-- Romajii , Kana and English translation. I wish I could find more (perhaps of the songs I like more), but the irc seems to be dead. I did find this: http://www.karaokebox.org/ which is kind of fun, because you can sing with the artist, and then try it alone, but it doesn't tell you WHEN to sing, like a real karaoke version. Now, what I was saying about it not being my favorite got me thinking. L'Arc has 118 song by rough count--counting "My Heart Draws a Dream" due out next week, but not any of the remixes, Ectomorphed songs, D'Arc , P'Unk , live versions, Hydeless versions or the ...

The Departed and some quick catch-ups

I threw out two trash bags of stuff today--projects I will never finish, even fabric I will never use, paper cranes. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was that, "There will always be more fabric." There will always be more origami paper. This time I was smart, I did some projects FIRST and then reorganized and threw out after, instead of cleaning everything first and then running out of time and energy to do a project, resolving to do it tomorrow and not doing it until the sewing room needed cleaning again. Did my laundry, sewed a bodice to a skirt, made a shrug and cleaned my silver jewelry. Then tonight we watched The Departed . My God, what an awful film. It really was. I know it's gotten all this critical acclaim but I just thought it was a mess. The first half dragged on trying to lay on all kind of important inferences about Boston politics, race and class. It only became interesting at all when it started just stealing every scene from Infernal Affa...