Saturday, June 30, 2007

Follow up

I wrote that in my head earlier and then I read an audience review of Ratatouille, about how maybe children shouldn't be told they can be anything when not everyone has the same talents.

Maybe I should forgive myself for not being a doctor or a lawyer. Maybe I should forgive myself for not having written a book yet, or maybe accept that I may never write a book. Maybe I should try to do things for pleasure besides video games and see how that feels.

This sort of ties into that post I had about Maddy Gaiman. I just felt enormous pressure as a child/teenager to do great things because I had this "early" talent. I don't know if that pressure was there or if I just felt that it was there. Maybe I should forgive my mother too.

1 comment:

Musing said...

This is when I wish I had more time to respond with thoughtful comments instead of quick, off the cuff ones!

But this issue that "maybe children shouldn't be told they can be anything when not everyone has the same talents" is something Ikuni and I have been discussing for the last few weeks.

It's hard to know what the balance is.