Skip to main content

The handbag and why it's important

I guess I'll kind of go back to the beginning and work forward.
I had been looking for a handbag for ages, but hadn't had any luck. The one I had (1950/60's style clutch with small handle) was showing wear, plus I was beginning to feel the need to have a slightly larger bag. What I wanted was one just like it, only slightly bigger. What I found were all slightly smaller. Or ghastly--with massive buckles and logos. Or outrageously priced. There was a bag I had liked in a Japanese store here that was shaped like a three sided pyramid with sort of backpack handles and a zipper down the middle of one side. Unfortunately it was in kimono silk and I was afraid that I would destroy it in no time. It was also $42 dollars--good for what it was, but more than I wanted to pay.

So I started to design one in my head. The pyramid was funkier than I've gone in awhile, but you can always pull of funky if you say you made it--really. Try it some time. I'm pretty proud of the result. There are things I'd fix on a second draft (because I foolishly never, ever do muslin's of things--d'oh), but I am pleased enough with it to think I might write it up for a design portfolio.
So here it is--sorry about the photo quality--I was going for speed. I made it out of upholstery fabric so hopefully it will last a little longer than the one of kimono silk. It zips in the middle instead of down the side, which was tricky to do. I finished the mini-pyramid at the top and it has a separate opening closed with snaps where I keep my car keys, clip-on sunglasses, chap stick, mints and hanky--things I might need fast. As you can see it has a little cell-phone pocket. I put the elasticized belt-clip holder I already had inside the pocket to grip it. You can't see it from the photo, but the black sides are actually two different geometric Jacquards. Half and half on each side. The handle can be pulled up to the top as a wrist strap, or pulled back down to sling over the shoulder. I also made a removable strap where I can wear it across the back and did that a lot walking in Montreal. There's a funky little trick where I put a gusset in the far edge so that I can unzip it and open it up more for easier access, but so far I haven't needed it. I was going to do pockets on the inside but I was so tired of working on it and I wanted to have it done before I left my last job to show people, that I didn't bother--an addition for Mock-2 (is that right? Mock/mach?--one would think it's for mock up two, not speed of sound 2...hmm) (addendum--asked my husband who said, "Why don't you just call it Version 2." He's so clever). Inside I sewed a d-ring and clipped my old Hyde lanyard clip to it with my house keys, flashlight, usb drive, and car beeper. I have my coffin shaped wallet and everything else (lipstick, SS card, seldom used membership cards, eye drops, etc.) went into a small cosmetics bag (which has skulls on it--heh, heh).
Obviously for the portfolio I will a) take better pictures, b) make some diagrams. In full-disclosure (which will NOT go in the portfolio) the under structure needs help. I put in that thin, cheap craft foam and spot stitched it in places. Were I to do it again, I would either use something harder and fuse it to the lining, or quilt it to the lining for support. I thought about a wire armature, but I don't want it to be rigid. It should have a little give. The Japanese one had batting which made it feel like a pillow. I did have to slip a dowel in behind the handle because it was sort of crunching up on itself when I carried it. I won't be able to carry it with me when I go on interviews--I wouldn't want it examined side by side with the diagrams. My execution is never quite up to par with my design. Or I remake it, but not yet, not now.
The buttons--which I made with a cheap little craft kit are: Pucca kissing Garu, and L'Arc's Smile album cover. I'm going to make some more but my printer ran out of colored ink. The nice thing being that if I loose them or break them I won't care as opposed to all my "real" buttons.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Putting my money (read time) where my mouth is

Some Duran Duran with some songs that I believe prove their musical merit. eSnips gives me the power and I'm going to use it. ( Bwahaha ) Get this widget Share Track details This is one of my all time favorite songs. I have it on a B-Side Collection, although I can't find any mention of what it was B-Side of, just that it came out in 1988. The words are quite haunting, as is the melody. But, I can hear you say, this is not at all a standard D2 song. Well, no, but what is a standard song by any band? How do you average that? Thomas Dolby's singles were always abnormal compared to the rest of their respective albums. Same with Barenaked Ladies. I think the B-Sides are often truer to what the band wants to be without the pressure of the labels for commercial success. Get this widget Share Track details This is probably more like Duran Duran you're thinking of, right? It's from Pop Trash , released 2000. The words are based on the true story of a boy who was building ...

KARAOKE

This is for Musing and B to take both of their minds off of other things. I happened to find it instead of what I was looking for (which was the 5Lives--they know what this means). Now, I'm not a fan of Karaoke, but I found this entertaining not because of the song, which is not a favorite of mine (more on that in a minute) but because it's written three different ways-- Romajii , Kana and English translation. I wish I could find more (perhaps of the songs I like more), but the irc seems to be dead. I did find this: http://www.karaokebox.org/ which is kind of fun, because you can sing with the artist, and then try it alone, but it doesn't tell you WHEN to sing, like a real karaoke version. Now, what I was saying about it not being my favorite got me thinking. L'Arc has 118 song by rough count--counting "My Heart Draws a Dream" due out next week, but not any of the remixes, Ectomorphed songs, D'Arc , P'Unk , live versions, Hydeless versions or the ...

The Departed and some quick catch-ups

I threw out two trash bags of stuff today--projects I will never finish, even fabric I will never use, paper cranes. One of the best pieces of advice I ever received was that, "There will always be more fabric." There will always be more origami paper. This time I was smart, I did some projects FIRST and then reorganized and threw out after, instead of cleaning everything first and then running out of time and energy to do a project, resolving to do it tomorrow and not doing it until the sewing room needed cleaning again. Did my laundry, sewed a bodice to a skirt, made a shrug and cleaned my silver jewelry. Then tonight we watched The Departed . My God, what an awful film. It really was. I know it's gotten all this critical acclaim but I just thought it was a mess. The first half dragged on trying to lay on all kind of important inferences about Boston politics, race and class. It only became interesting at all when it started just stealing every scene from Infernal Affa...