Skip to main content

Long day

Guinness went for his ultrasound today. This became a much bigger process than it should have been for several reasons. One, there are only two animal hospitals in Boston and the more convenient one to us only had weekday slots. We also couldn't just bring him in for an ultrasound, he had to be examined and then the Vet would decide if he really needed one, or something else. The other is located in the heart of south Boston neighborhoods--areas we are not familiar with, where I had gotten lost only Thursday, and where certain areas are...less savory. We'd been there before, but late at night with no traffic. So we went down taking a long a roundabout way (I don't want to sound like a travelogue, but for those in Boston, Storrow to Kenmore, to Longwood, to Huntington St., to JP), but had given ourselves plenty of time. Guinness doesn't deal well with other larger dogs, so I walked him around the little park while husband waited. Vet was very nice, very thorough. Could fit him in for Ultrasound, but no guarantee on time. Might be an hour, might be four. Plus he found some enlarged lymph nodes and wanted to rule out some things so those would probably be easier for them to do all at once. So we could leave him or stay. We decided to leave and pay the extra price for day board. We went to lunch in Jamaica Plain, at the exact same restaurant I'd eaten in on Thursday, wandered a bit, checked with the hospital. Still not done. So we decide to go home. My husband starts to retrace our steps. I point out there's an easier way, but we're headed in the wrong direction. Oh well--so JP to Huntington, to Mass Ave. to Melnea Cass, to 93 North.
Now, as the crow flies, this place is probably 3.5 miles from our house because Boston is quite geographically small. Each of these trips have now taken about 35 to 45 minutes.
It's terribly hot, neither of us feel well, we go home and nap with the phone next to the bed. At 5:30 the vet calls and says that Guinness can be released at 6 (the original apt. had been at noon). We go--I'm driving this time. We leave about 15 to 6. I take 93 with the intention of picking up Melnea Cass back to Columbus to Centre St. where the hospital is. Sounds so easy, doesn't it? Except there are no signs for Melnea Cass once we get off of the highway and we end up in DORCHESTER (seedy neighborhood) where some sort of peace parade is happening and we are diverted repeatedly!!! I actually ask one of the cops directing traffic if he knows the best way to Angell Memorial Hospital. He asks where is it. I say JP. He shrugs and I say, "So I'm SOL?" He says, "Basically." THESE NEIGHBORHOODS ARE SIDE BY SIDE!
ONE HOUR LATER we get to the hospital in a pretty frazzled state. It then takes an HOUR for Guinness to be discharged.
But we are so happy to seem him and he is so happy to see us, and everyone in the waiting area tells us how cute he is.

So, the good news is that his liver doesn't look misshapen or wrong, just large. His blood work is all the same as it's ever been. The bad news is that he definitely has stones and needs an operation. They will biopsy the liver while they have him open (saying that makes me a little sick) to rule out cancers. And this is a chunk of change, which we have, but weren't planning to spend like this. Poor little guy.

Post Script: Came home smoothly, the way I'd been aiming for all day--Centre to Columbus to Melena Cass to 93 North--15 minutes. Jeeze, Louise. I'll have to do this in rush hour next week to drop him off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adapting a book--The Prestige

I was completely blown away by the movie of The Prestige , and I thought then about reading the novel, but it seemed too soon. So I carried the author's name around with me for over a year (Christopher Priest) and then, finally remembered to buy it through an odd sequence of events. We watched The Painted Veil based on the novel by Maugham starring Edward Norton, and while I decided I didn't want to read The Painted Veil because of it's differences from the film (which was more romantic and tragic) it reminded me that I had wanted to read Fight Club (the movie version of which starred Edward Norton) and that reminded me that I had wanted to read The Prestige (which did not star Edward Norton, but was up against The Illusionist which did). Whew...so it's all Edward Norton's fault. The Prestige is a very good novel, and yet, the movie differs from it considerably. And I am still trying to figure out what exactly that means. The central premise is the same, AND HE

Putting my money (read time) where my mouth is

Some Duran Duran with some songs that I believe prove their musical merit. eSnips gives me the power and I'm going to use it. ( Bwahaha ) Get this widget Share Track details This is one of my all time favorite songs. I have it on a B-Side Collection, although I can't find any mention of what it was B-Side of, just that it came out in 1988. The words are quite haunting, as is the melody. But, I can hear you say, this is not at all a standard D2 song. Well, no, but what is a standard song by any band? How do you average that? Thomas Dolby's singles were always abnormal compared to the rest of their respective albums. Same with Barenaked Ladies. I think the B-Sides are often truer to what the band wants to be without the pressure of the labels for commercial success. Get this widget Share Track details This is probably more like Duran Duran you're thinking of, right? It's from Pop Trash , released 2000. The words are based on the true story of a boy who was building

Books & Bands

A newsletter on webdesign had a contest to mash-up band names with book names--though it seems to have expanded to all literature. My personal favorite is: Horton Hears a Hoobastank But there are many others bubbling under: The Who Moved my Cheese (The Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf is nice too) Courtney Love in the Time of Cholera Wallflowers for Algernon Bleak Housemartins I like the ones that just merge, but this is good too: One Fish, Two Fish, Hootie and the Blowfish (because the rhythm works) For the 80's girl in me: The Joy Division Luck Club The Elements of Style Council A Kraftwerk Orange (which is so great I'm surprised the band never used it for an album name) The Jesus and Mary Chain of Command Everything But the Girl, Interrupted The Five People You Meet in Heaven 17 The Natalie Merchant of Venice Romeo Void and Juliet The Motels New Hampshire (that one's stretching it, but it's funny) At Play in the Fields of the Lords of the New Church (and also At Pla