Skip to main content

Mortality part 2

My mother has an aortic stenosis. This means the valve in her heart is getting more and more rigid, and eventually it will stop moving altogether and she will die. Her doctor told her it could happen anytime with no warning, "Any time from two weeks to a year." That was five months ago. She mentioned it then, but I put it out of my mind at the time. That seems extraordinary at this moment but my mother has often cried wolf. Last night she mentioned it to my husband again and told him not to tell me as I'm so stressed from work. He, of course, told me after I'd finished speaking with her. I called her back and asked if the diagnosis had changed, if she felt different. If that really meant she had ONLY a year to live, or was it more in the lines of now, or some vague time in the future. She wasn't sure. She said it was just one of those things doctors say. She also said she had no intention of dying. She'll be 83 in October when I'm planning to see her. I haven't seen her face to face for 8 years. As I lay in the bathtub afterwards and cried I wished things had been different, that we'd had the kind of relationship that we'd each wanted, that many of my girlfriend's have with their mothers. Of being friends. But we never did, and she never understood why, and I finally had to shake myself and say that there was nothing to be done about that now.

Now, as I said, she and I talked about this in the spring, yet she led my husband to believe that it was new. She was not surprised when I called her back--that he had told me. What do I make of that? And do I think of her as dying more rapidly any more or less than all the years of my life when she's lived with blood pressure over 200 and high cholesterol and a weight problem, and a carelessness of her health, and two heart attacks and breast cancer and a mastectomy? Or simply the fact that she is 83? I feel as if I've been doing this moment--my mother could die any day--over and over again since I was a child.

And a friend's 17 year old daughter is facing losing her father to cancer, and my husband lost his mother when he was 20 after watching her slowly die for years, and JT lost both parents within a very short space of time while he was in college. I am not a child. I am not even so young as I was when my father died. I am a grown up woman who will someday have to face her mother's death no matter how or when it comes. Buckle up, Novel. A woman at work got a call after I spoke to her about this that her mother had been rushed to the hospital with fluid on the heart from kidney failure. "Here beside the news of holy war and holy need/Ours is just a little sorrowed talk,"--Duran Duran, Ordinary World

I think that defined myself for so long by pushing against my mother, that I am terrified of how I will define myself when she is gone. It was not something I had to deal with in my father's death. I am better now than I would have been even 9 years ago. I have made a sort of peace, but I do not want her to die yet. And I don't know what I think will happen if she doesn't.

Comments

Unknown said…
I got a phone call the other night on my keitai from my mother. My mother is loath to call me in Japan as it freaks her out when I'm not there and she gets the answering service in Japanese.

I was immediately disturbed. My stepfather will be 85 in 2 weeks, and I expected to hear that he was in the hospital or maybe had died. He's lived without a bladder for about 13 years now, and he was a smoker for most of his life (though he quit about 20 years ago). He's been bleeding from his kidneys for the last week or two, and the doctors say there's not much they can do about it, but to keep an eye out and come to the emergency room as quickly as possible.

My stepfather and I are the most diametrically opposed people, in interests and attitude. But we're both stubborn, and we're both fierce, and fiercely independent. It took me nearly 30 years to really have that man acknowledge what I value and how I feel without it being grudging or confused. I'm afraid he'll die, but I also know he's nearly ready -- his mind has outgrown his body, and there are things he just can't do anymore tethered to the earth.

Your last two sentences make total sense to me.
musingwoman said…
*hugs*
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
Thank you. Thank you both for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

Adapting a book--The Prestige

I was completely blown away by the movie of The Prestige , and I thought then about reading the novel, but it seemed too soon. So I carried the author's name around with me for over a year (Christopher Priest) and then, finally remembered to buy it through an odd sequence of events. We watched The Painted Veil based on the novel by Maugham starring Edward Norton, and while I decided I didn't want to read The Painted Veil because of it's differences from the film (which was more romantic and tragic) it reminded me that I had wanted to read Fight Club (the movie version of which starred Edward Norton) and that reminded me that I had wanted to read The Prestige (which did not star Edward Norton, but was up against The Illusionist which did). Whew...so it's all Edward Norton's fault. The Prestige is a very good novel, and yet, the movie differs from it considerably. And I am still trying to figure out what exactly that means. The central premise is the same, AND HE

Putting my money (read time) where my mouth is

Some Duran Duran with some songs that I believe prove their musical merit. eSnips gives me the power and I'm going to use it. ( Bwahaha ) Get this widget Share Track details This is one of my all time favorite songs. I have it on a B-Side Collection, although I can't find any mention of what it was B-Side of, just that it came out in 1988. The words are quite haunting, as is the melody. But, I can hear you say, this is not at all a standard D2 song. Well, no, but what is a standard song by any band? How do you average that? Thomas Dolby's singles were always abnormal compared to the rest of their respective albums. Same with Barenaked Ladies. I think the B-Sides are often truer to what the band wants to be without the pressure of the labels for commercial success. Get this widget Share Track details This is probably more like Duran Duran you're thinking of, right? It's from Pop Trash , released 2000. The words are based on the true story of a boy who was building

Books & Bands

A newsletter on webdesign had a contest to mash-up band names with book names--though it seems to have expanded to all literature. My personal favorite is: Horton Hears a Hoobastank But there are many others bubbling under: The Who Moved my Cheese (The Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf is nice too) Courtney Love in the Time of Cholera Wallflowers for Algernon Bleak Housemartins I like the ones that just merge, but this is good too: One Fish, Two Fish, Hootie and the Blowfish (because the rhythm works) For the 80's girl in me: The Joy Division Luck Club The Elements of Style Council A Kraftwerk Orange (which is so great I'm surprised the band never used it for an album name) The Jesus and Mary Chain of Command Everything But the Girl, Interrupted The Five People You Meet in Heaven 17 The Natalie Merchant of Venice Romeo Void and Juliet The Motels New Hampshire (that one's stretching it, but it's funny) At Play in the Fields of the Lords of the New Church (and also At Pla